With just three wholesome ingredients, go ahead and enjoy these paleo breakfast cookies! They are Chocolaty, delicious, paleo and gluten free.
“These are not real cookies!” protested the Picky Eater as she was biting into one of her paleo breakfast cookies. She finished it off, then asked “Can I have another?”
This pretty much sums up these paleo breakfast cookies. They’re not exactly cookies, but they are sweet and delicious and they make you want to eat more of them, which is not such a bad thing, considering the list of ingredients is banana, coconut and cocoa powder.
Normally I’m opposed to the concept of a breakfast cookie. I think that one of our biggest mistakes is that we have become accustomed to eating sweet things in the morning, and if not sweet, then starchy (bagel with cream cheese, for example).
I try to start our mornings with eggs, and plain Greek yogurt with berries. But if one must have something sweet to start their day, then these paleo breakfast cookies are probably as healthy as a breakfast cookie can be (though still quite high in carbs, so if you’re on a very low carb diet, these are sadly not for you).
I haven’t tried it yet, but I’m sure that a handful of chopped walnuts would be great in these breakfast cookies. Needless to say, chocolate chips would be amazing, but as I just explained, I’m trying to avoid going down that particular route first thing in the morning. :)
Although these coconut breakfast bars do have chocolate chips in them. Hmm.
- 1 large, ripe banana (125 grams mashed)
- ½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Mash the banana well. Place the mashed banana in a small bowl. Add the coconut and cocoa powder and mix well with a rubber spatula.
- Place eight 1-tablespoon mounds, or four 2-tablespoon mounds, of the batter on the prepared cookie sheet. Lightly flatten.
- Bake the breakfast cookies until fragrant and set, but still soft to the touch, about 20 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes on the cookie sheet, then carefully transfer to a cooling rack, and cool 10 more minutes before enjoying.
- Keep completely cooked leftovers in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 5 days. Remove from fridge 10 minutes before serving.